Reunion Time!

August 6th-9th

Be sure get your family assignments ready for the reunion. It's gonna be fun!

Movie Madness!

January 13, 2008

Slurping and Clinking

I remember several mornings sitting at the table, peacefully eating my cereal with Summer and most of the younger sisters - when out of nowhere Summer would rudely and deliberately SLUUURRRRRPPP her food and glare at us all. Stunned by her sudden abrasive gesture, we all stopped and looked at her. After brief silence or a "What?" from us younger girls, Summer would say, "Would you ALL please stop slurping your food?!? It's rude, it's gross, and it bothers me!" At first, she would get a non-apologetic "Sorry" and we'd keep eating, trying not to eat loudly.

After a while of her immitating our slurping we got mad and tried to nit-pick back. One of us piped up: "You may not slurp, but you clink your teeth on the spoon when it goes in your mouth and that bothers us." I don't remember who first said it, but all of us younger girls got on board! From that moment on, clinking bothered everyone who was in trouble for slurping. So each morning at the table, we'd pick on each other. Summer would clink her spoon on her teeth as she ate and we younger girls would slurp louder and longer. Soon, Summer would just put the empty spoon in her mouth and chew, Chew, CHEW just to bug us - but there were lots of us slurping and only one of her clinking. Sometimes the noise was so obnoxious that a few of us would start laughing, but we'd quickly be back to the serious business of attacking each other with slurps and clinks.

2 comments:

Summer said...

you know, to this day, i'm still careful about clinking my spoon on my teeth. i really try to not let my spoon touch my teeth just in case it bothers someone! you see! i try to be courteous! you guys scarred me for life, all of you ganging up on innocent, little, solitary me, the lone reed standing tall for the few, the proud, the oppressed etiquette champions everywhere who defend the cause of manners!

jomymother said...

Just so you all know, I didn't approve of slurping or clinking!
Mom