Reunion Time!

August 6th-9th

Be sure get your family assignments ready for the reunion. It's gonna be fun!

Movie Madness!

July 6, 2009

Murdock-isms

Grammar and speech take an important role in society as a whole - not much differs with Murdock culture. We have a culture of our own! Most of us call it Murdock-isms. Mother always tried to teach us proper grammar (like things don't happen "on accident" - they happen "accidentally"). Dad on the other hand has his own language. Basically, if you can contort the syllable to sound like something else, or add a slight Enlish accent and "-ski" to a word, you can speak Dad.

For example, we had a little white DATsun car (normally pronounced "DAHT-sun"). But when Summer dimpled the cah-ski (car) in a wreck-ski, Dad helped Summer buy an Isuzu ("EYE-soo-zoo, normally pronounced "IH-soo-zoo") truck so she could get-ski from her job-ski back home-ski. She may park in the "GAY-rahge" (garage), and come inside to get her jam-skis (pajamas) on. Then, she may decide to call her boyfriend. What was his name?... Oh, Dad knows! His name is Bruce, Bruiser, or Bonzo Billy. That was the name of any boy that his girls brought home.

But aside from the Dad-language, there were many a words that I used growing up that I quickly learned were NOT in general circulation. The word "booper", for example, is a semi-refined term for passing gas. But when I used the term at elementary school and my friends looked at me crooked, I realized this was a term for home-use only. Later, in 5th grade, I was mortified when my best friend decided to nickname me "Boopers". I gasped in embarrassment everytime she said it. She couldn't understand why I despised the name so... that is, until last recess when she wouldn't stop calling me that aweful word. I told her what it meant. This of course led to fits of laughter from our group of friends, and I became the brunt of a whole slew of crude jokes. Thankfully, this was shortlived. But it is only one of the many Murdock-isms we have in our family culture. There were others like boap, thunderations... well, you get the idea.

No comments: